Sunday, May 8, 2011

Will's 3!



First of all, let me just say how excited I am that I am sitting on the couch updating the blog this Mother's Day as opposed to sitting in a hospital room with a very hurt little boy. A huge improvement from last year!

Friday was Will's big 3rd birthday! As some friends were talking about remembering the moment they found out Will was here 3 years ago, I was struck -- how can a moment seem like yesterday, but yet it seem like we've never known life without the little guy around? And holy cow -- we're about to experience this all over again -- in less than 2 months when "Bob" joins our little family!

Friday we did our now birthday tradition of celebrating with the culinary delight of hot dogs, mac and cheese, and cupcakes with Will's godparents. It's always so fun to have a small kick off to the bigger party to come during the weekend and it gives Will a chance to open a few presents and have a special night before the big day of the party.

This year's theme was made very clear by Will -- we were on a farm! He asked for a tractor cake well over a month ago and hasn't strayed from that plan. So I decided I was going to give a 3D cake a shot -- I've always wanted to try and I watch about a million hours of food network, so why not? Here's the final product -- probably not getting me a job on any cake shows, but not too shabby for my first try if I do say so myself! Of course Will had seen a picture of some tractor cakes when I was picking out what to do and so when he saw it for the first time he's reaction was something like this -- "My tractor cake!! Yay! Where's the wagon?" Really? Thanks bud.



Then I had to add some little farm animal friend cupcakes to go along with it, right? I knew I was successful when Will and Elyse were picking out which animal they wanted to eat without having to be told what they were! :)




The rest of the food was all farm themed too -- we had a pig pen (pigs in a blanket), veggie patch, fruit orchard, chicken feed (snack mix), and hay stacks (pretzel sticks). Quite the tasty farm...



Will loves to plant pretty much anything, so we made sure to let everyone have their own pot, trowel, and a plant to take home. Here they all are in full planting mode!



Will kept asking me when we were going to put fire on his cake and let him blow it out -- we've apparently seen enough birthday cakes to know what's up around here. He was so excited when it was finally time for singing and candle blowing!




And here is the best family pic we managed to get this year -- by the time all the cameras started going Will had decided he had had enough of the paparazzi and became very shy. But here we are nonetheless.



This collage pretty much sums up the day -- and is also a chance to say a huge thank you to our good friend Becky for being willing to be the resident photographer of the day. We love you Becky!

1 comment:

Big Fun said...

Excellent job Mom and Aunt B! Great party!